To protect workers from cold stress, you may provide them with portable space heaters. But if these heaters are powered by propane or gasoline and aren’t used properly, you could be exposing workers to the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. In fact, the improper use of any equipment powered by certain fuels can expose workers to CO and possibly make them sick—or even kill them. So it’s important to educate workers on what CO is, what kinds of equipment or activities create this toxic gas and how to prevent exposure to it.
HOW TO USE THE TOOL
Give workers this handout, adapted from one created by the IHSA in Ontario, as a supplement to a safety or toolbox talk on carbon monoxide. Adapt it for your workplace and OHS program, and any requirements in your jurisdiction’s OHS laws.