March 21-27, 2016 is Canada Water Week, which is intended to coincide with World Water Day on March 22. This year the focus is on freshwater, such as watersheds, wetlands, lakes, rivers, streams and ponds.
Why is this week so important’ Because according to the WWF’s most recent Living Planet report, freshwater species populations have declined 76% over the past four decades’and Canada holds 20% of the world’s freshwater.
During Canada Water Week, businesses are urged to reach out to their staff to educate them on ways that they can use water more efficiently in the workplace. Some of the ways you can make some real changes include:
- Encouraging a water efficient culture within the business and offer education and resources at all levels
- Monitoring water usage to understand and analyze the company’s monthly indoor water demand
- Investing in water efficient products and technologies to reduce water consumption where applicable
- Having your outdoor irrigation system inspected for system leakage and/or ways to improve water application through schedule changes and/or the installation of a smart/central controller where applicable
- Discovering more about your company’s water footprint and that of your products (if applicable) (see, How Sustainable Are Your Company’s Products’).