Home Forums Community Confined Space training requirements. Working at heights training requirements. Online vs instructor led.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We have a few employees working in the following provinces which require confined space training. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, BC. Do these employees require “Hands on” Instructor led training or is our company on-line training, such as Skillsoft, sufficient’  Same question goes for Working at Heights training.  

Jeffrey Turner
    Keymaster

As a rule, a specific kind of certification training must involve at least some hands-on training. I recall seeing at least one of the provinces making a temporary exception to this during the pandemic, but I believe that temporary exception was quite limited for things like JHSC certification and is no longer in effect. And I doubt anybody would ever allow purely online training for anything as hazardous, technical and equipment-based as Working at Heights or Confined Space work. But I can double check if you’d like. Glenn

Jeffrey Turner
    Keymaster

In Ontario, the providers need to be approved by the Chief Prevention officer for Working at Heights. Currently, training can only be done in small class settings. No distance learning as of yet.

Jeffrey Turner
    Keymaster

Great points, Louise. Just one small modification. Working At Heights training approved by WorkplaceNL in Newfoundland is now acceptable in Ontario also. The new rule just went into effect on Jan. 1 and recognizes that the Newfoundland training requirements are just as stringent as the Ontario ones. Thanks for weighing in.

Jeffrey Turner
    Keymaster

Ah yes, of course. It’s so new!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.