$65,000 Fine Imposed on Drilling Company for Electric Shock Incident
A company drilling at a construction project was using a boom truck to lift and move materials. A worker helping to place an auger being moved by the boom truck was holding the chains attaching the auger to the boom truck’s hook when the truck came into contact with an overhead electrical conductor. He received an electric shock and was seriously burned. The drilling company pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that the cable was kept away from the overhead conductor by at least the minimum distance prescribed by the Regulation for Construction Projects and was fined $65,000 [Marathon Drilling Co. Ltd., Govt. News Release, Jan. 30, 2012].