6 Key Facts about Managing Workplace Flu & Infectious Illness Risks
1. There’s an implied duty under OHS laws to protect workers from getting the flu and other infectious illnesses at work.
2. One of the best ways to keep workers from getting the flu is through an exposure control plan.
3. You can’t discipline workers for refusing to get a flu shot, with the possible exception of workplaces that are a hospital, nursing home or other healthcare-related facility, you
4. In general, you can’t ask workers who call in sick if they have the flu. But if there’s an influenza or other infectious illness pandemic and the government declares a public emergency, you may be permitted—and even required—to ask workers if they have the pandemic flu or illness.
5. A worker’s reasonable fears of contracting a pandemic illness may be grounds for refusing work.
6. Workers may have a hard time getting workers’ comp coverage if they come down with the flu.