Home Forums Community health-and-safety-acts-and-legislation-availability-in-the-workplace

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Can I have a pdf version of the Canada Labour Code available for workers instead of a physical copy?

Jeffrey Turner
    Keymaster

Yes, as long as the PDF is accessible to all workers at the workplace at all times. 
    Explanation: Section 125(1)(d) of Canada Labour Code says that a copy of the OHS provisions of the Code must be “readily available” to employees in print and electronic form. Although the Code doesn’t define “readily available,” the same term is used in reference to availability of SDS’ under the WHMIS provisions. The fed govt. has published guidance on what “readily available” means in the WHMIS context https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/laws-regulations/labour/interpretations-policies/availability-safety-data-sheets.html indicating that workers need to be able to access the SDS at any and all times when they’re in the workplace. That same standard would presumably also apply to the PDF copy of the Code required by Sec. 125(1)(d). 
    I’ve probably told you way more than you need, but as a lawyer I feel compelled to spell out the source of legal authority on which I base my answers. Anyway, I hope this helps and that you have a great weekend and beyond. Glenn Demby
    (d) make readily available to employees, in printed and electronic form,

• (i) a copy of this Part and a copy of the regulations made under this Part that apply to the work place,
    • (ii) a statement of the employer’s general policy concerning the health and safety at work of employees, an
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.