Home Forums Community COVID-19 in Winter months

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

What can you say about the COVID-19 pandemic in winter month’ Do you think it will have a positive or negative impact on people considering the social distancing rules’ What ways can people stay safe at the workplace with COVID-19 during this coming season?

Jeffrey Turner
    Keymaster

Great questions. In fact, we just created a Special Report on precisely that topic. I don’t know if it’s been posted yet, but if you can’t find it, email me at glennd@bongarde.com and I can send you a word doc version.
    My take is that employees and employers will be unusually diligent about flu shots and flu prevention this year. Surveys in the US show that something in the order of 80% of Americans said that the pandemic would make them more likely to get a flu shot this year. I feel the same way. I also believe people will be more apt to stay home if they have the flu. Ditto for wearing masks.
    Legally, it’s a bit complicated. The emergency orders and special powers that employers have to deal with COVID technically don’t apply to flu. At the same time, flu and COVID symptoms overlap since they’re both respiratory infections. That means you CAN require employees to self-isolate with flu even if they’re not confirmed as having COVID. But unlike COVID, you don’t have to report cases of the flu to public health authorities. Take a look at the Special Report and you’ll find all kinds of help on this. Glenn

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.