Home Forums Community BC

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hi there, Do employers have any financial responsibility to employees that are working from home besides the typical salary requirements?

Jeffrey Turner
    Keymaster

I’m not sure what you mean by “financial obligations.” I can say that working from home shouldn’t have any impact on the employee’s entitlements under the BC Employment Standards Act, e.g., vacation pay, stat holidays, termination notice, etc. To the extent you offer benefits more generous than ESA minimum entitlements, the rules will depend on the terms of the contract. Theoretically, you COULD pay less generous vacation, etc., to employees in consideration for letting them work from home, provided that you provide at least the ESA minimums. You’d also have to be careful to avoid potential discrimination to the extent the employee is working from home due to a disability. Hope that helps. Glenn

Jeffrey Turner
    Keymaster

Thanks for your reply. Management wanted me to research to see if we should be providing any support with rent/phone/internet etc. however I could find nothing online besides the CRA tax credits. Looks like employers are under no extra financial obligation to employees who are working from home due to the pandemic.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.