Worker’s Burns Result in $50,000 Fine for Restaurant
A restaurant worker was assigned to clean out and filter hot oil from a commercial deep fryer. He used two aluminum stockpots to drain oil from the fryer. After the oil was drained into the pots, he placed them on the floor. While reaching for a third pot, he stepped back and his foot slipped on the floor, causing him to hit the pot filled with oil. The oil spilled onto one leg, causing second- and third-degree burns. The MOL found that the injured worker wasn’t given any information or instruction on how to clean and filter the oil and he wasn’t wearing anti-slip footwear or other forms of PPE for the task. The restaurant pleaded guilty to failing to provide information, instruction and supervision to a worker and was fined $50,000 [Kenzington Inc., Govt. News Release, Nov. 26, 2015].