Worker Falls off Ladder After Getting an Electric Shock from Light Fixture

A worker at an office building was changing a “ballast” light fixture on the ceiling of one of the building’s halls. He was doing so from a five-foot ladder. In violation of company policy, the energy source of the light fixture wasn’t shut off, locked-out or tagged. As a result, the worker suffered an electric shock and fell from the ladder, suffering fractures. The court fined the company $50,000 for failing to ensure the power supply to an electrical installation was disconnected and locked out before work was done [Bona Building & Management Ltd., Govt. News Release, Dec. 22, 2016].