LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Jan. 1: New Bill 176 employer duties to prevent and respond to psychological harassment take effect:
- Definition of “psychological harassment” broadened to include sexual harassment
- New employer duty to adopt psychological harassment prevention policies and investigate complaints
- New employer duty to report psychological harassment complaints to CNESST
- New CNESST duty to refer complaints to CDPDJ (human rights commission) for discrimination inquiry
- Time limit for employees to file complaint increased from 90 days to 2 years from last incident of alleged offending behaviour.
Oct. 25: The Supreme Court of Canada refused to hear the appeal of a case challenging the constitutionality of the rule banning people from entering Québec legislative buildings while wearing a Sikh ceremonial dagger known as a kirpan. Result: The provincial courts’ ruling that the legislature has the right to establish its own security rules regardless of the impact on Charter rights stands. The case began in 2011 when a pair of World Sikh Organization of Canada members refused to hand over their kirpans to security guards before entering the legislature building to file a brief. The legislature then adopted a resolution backing the guards and reaffirming their right to deny entry to the Sikhs. The new ruling—or lack thereof—comes at a time when a new government promising to ban state employees from wearing religious symbols prepares to take over the reins in Québec.
Jan. 1: CNESST has decided to keep the 2019 average Occupational Health and Safety Fund contribution rate at $1.79 per $100 assessable payroll. Maximum annual insurable earnings will increase from $74,000 to $76,500 and maximum weekly insurable earnings will go from $1,419.26 to $1,467.20.
Jan. 1: The 2019 average Occupational Health and Safety Fund contribution rate will remain at $1.79 per $100 assessable payroll. Maximum annual insurable earnings will increase from $74,000 to $76,500 and maximum weekly insurable earnings will go from $1,419.26 to $1,467.20.