LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
|Workers’ Comp Filing Deadline
February 28, 2018
Feb. 1: Comments closed on proposed changes to WorkplaceNL’s workers’ comp coverage rules for mental stress. Current Policy EN-18 , which covers only stress resulting from a discrete, sudden and unexpected traumatic event at work, is out of touch with other jurisdictions and scientific research showing that PTSD and other psychological injuries develop gradually over time.
Jan. 25: A new program will provide up to 4 hours of free legal advice to sexual assault victims. The GNL and its partners, the Public Legal Information Assoc. of NL and Newfoundland Labrador Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre, will recruit a roster of lawyers to deliver the advice.
Jan. 3: You may want to remind your employees that effective today, fines for llegally parking in a “blue zone” reserved for the mobility impaired increased from $100 to $400 up to a maximum of $700. Meanwhile, strict new buildings accessibility regulations are slated to take effect in April.
EPA environmental assessment actions in Jan.:
- Registration of Magy Pit Extension [Reg. 1942]
- Registration of Northern Arm Forage and Pasture Land Development [Reg. 1940]
- Release of Marystown Quarry [Reg.1878]
- Release of Conception Bay South Microbrewery [Reg.1935]
- Release of PESG Chapel Arm Services Facility [Reg.1924]
- Release of Crown Districts 17 and 18 Five-Year Operating Plan (2018-2022) [Reg. 1905]
- Release of Crown Zone 4 Five-Year Forestry Operating Plan (2018- 2022) [Reg.1908]
- Extension of Crémaillère Harbour Marine Port Development [Reg.1933]
- Draft EIS Guidelines for Public Review of Placentia Bay Atlantic Salmon Aquaculture Project [Reg.1834].