The Department of Justice and Public Safety reminded owners of space heaters to ensure they’re used safely and properly. Portable space heaters pose significant risks of fire and electric shock if not used properly. Some safety tips from the Office of the Fire Marshal include:
- Make sure your space heater has a label showing it’s approved by a recognized testing laboratory (CSA, ULC, ETL, etc.).
- Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet, not an extension cord or power strip.
- Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use.
- Keep heaters at least one metre from anything flammable.
- Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces.