Wondering what trends in the world of workplace safety we might expect in 2014?
Attend our webinar on Feb. 5, 2014 in which our panel of safety experts—OHS lawyers Ryan Conlin and Christina Hall and OHS consultant Yvonne O’Reilly—will discuss:
1. The impact of key cases decided in 2013, including:
- Irving Pulp (random alcohol testing)
- Métron (liability and sentencing)
- Blue Mountain (reporting of injuries/incidents)
- XI Technologies (liability and sentencing)
- Hamilton-Wentworth (anxiety over OHS duties)
2. New laws/regulations, including:
- The new safety awareness training regulations in Ontario
- Implementation of GHS/replacement of WHMIS across Canada
- Bill C-4 and proposed changes to the federal Labour Code.
3. Enforcement trends, including:
- The Roofing Medics case and jail as a sentence in OHS prosecutions
- Psychological safety and the new CSA standard
- Workplace violence, harassment and/or bullying
- Protection of new and young workers
- Increased expectations for supervisors.
Ryan J. Conlin, Partner, Stringer LLP
Ryan co-chairs the firm’s Occupational Health and Safety Practice Group. His experience includes advising and acting for employers and individuals charged with contraventions of the OHS Act, assisting employers with a range of workers’ compensation issues litigation before the WSIB and WSIAT, and assisting employers in obtaining the work permits required for cross-border hiring of employees in a wide range of occupational groups (e.g. executive, professional, managerial, sales/service) on both a permanent and temporary basis.
Christina Hall, Associate, Heenan Blaikie
Christina is an associate in the Labour and Employment group and a member of the firm’s national Occupational Health and Safety and Workers’ Compensation Practice group. She joined Heenan Blaikie in 2012 after spending eight years with a national law firm’s Employment and Labour practice. Christina practices in all areas of labour and employment law with a focus on employment litigation, human rights matters and occupational health and safety defence work.
Yvonne O’Reilly, CRSP
Yvonne is the owner and principal consultant of O’Reilly Health & Safety Consulting, a national consulting practice based in Ontario. She has significant hands-on experience in developing and delivering due diligence training, developing written programs and conducting audits. Yvonne’s diverse professional experience includes working on a multi-billion dollar construction project as well as establishing an OHS practice within two national law firms. Her extensive knowledge of legislation and comprehensive audit skills, coupled with her engaging presentation style, has provided value to employers across Canada.