Highlight Workplace Safety During NAOSH Week
North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week is May 4-10, 2014. The goal of this week is to focus the attention of employers, workers, the general public and all stakeholders in occupational safety and health on the importance of preventing injury and illness in the workplace, at home and in the community. This year’s theme is “Make Safety a Habit.”
NAOSH Week is a great time to highlight the importance of workplace safety in your company and your programs designed to keep workers healthy and whole, such as the JHSC, OHS program, wellness program, etc.
In addition to educating workers, their families and the surrounding community, participating in events during NAOSH week has been shown to:
- Improve attitudes toward safety
- Increase understanding of the importance of workplace safety
- Foster a safety culture
- Increase cooperation and assist in team building
- Improve communication between workers, JHSCs and safety professionals.
Your company can participate in special NAOSH week events being held in every jurisdiction in Canada (and the US). You can also hold your own events.
For example, you can use the week as an opportunity to conduct a safety audit (use this checklist). You can also have senior management issue a proclamation on the importance of workplace safety (here’s a model proclamation you can adapt and use).
The NAOSH Week website also has a long list of suggested events and activities to consider, such as:
- Updating the safety posters in your workplace. (Go to SafetyPosters.com for some great options, including posters featuring The Simpsons!)
- Launching a recognition program for safety suggestions that are implemented or enhance ongoing OHS practices.
- Sponsoring a poster contest for employees’ children.
- Inviting school classes to tour your operations, highlighting basic safety features and the importance of working safely.