The Canadian government recently announced the launch of Sit Kicker, a national campaign to encourage office workers to reduce sedentary behaviour and “kick the sit” out of their work habits.
Why the focus on sitting? Because too much sitting on a regular basis can negatively impact your health. (Read about one study that shows the health risks of too much sitting.) In fact, a 2016 report from ParticipACTION noted that 63% of Canadian office workers are worried about the amount of time spent sitting at work.
Sit Kicker will encourage workers to participate in a four-week challenge to interrupt sitting every half hour and stand more often. By breaking up sitting time, workers feel more focused, are more productive and can improve the quality of their work. They’ll also experience physical benefits such as:
- Burning extra calories
- Improving blood circulation
- Less back pain
- Less risk of disease.
Sign up your workplace and you’ll get a toolkit that includes portable stand-up desks for use with laptops, tablets, phones or other office devices, an app that enables workers to track their standing time and compete with co-workers, as well as posters, stickers and other workplace supports.
The OHS Insider has additional information on ways employers can encourage workers to sit less and exercise more, and engage in other healthy behaviour, including:
- A study that found standing desks may improve workers’ productivity
- An infographic of exercises for office workers to do during the day
- Why you should give workers time off to exercise, such as by letting them take an additional 30 minutes on top of their normal lunch break
- Information on the benefits of a little walking at work
- A study on lunchtime walking programs and their mental and physical health benefits
- How to use incentives to improve participation in a workplace walking program.
Want access to all the Canadian safety compliance resources that the OHS Insider has to offer, such as the resources listed above, and much more? Sign up for a free trial membership now!