The start of a new calendar year is a time when many people assess and take stock of their personal lives. It’s also a good time for safety professionals to assess their OHS programs and the safety culture in their workplaces. That’s because a company’s safety culture—that is, its attitude and approach to ensuring workers’ health and safety—has a big impact on the effectiveness and success of its OHS program.
HOW TO USE THE TOOL
The safety snapshot is an introductory tool that can help you assess and understand your workplace’s safety culture. If used as part of a planned process, it can help to:
- Engage everyone in your workplace on health and safety
- Identify areas of strength and weakness in your safety culture
- Inform action planning to make improvements in areas of weakness.
For each category on the form:
- Score of 18 or more: Areas where your workplace is probably getting things right. Think about what you’re doing in that category that’s making a positive difference and make sure you build on and consolidate that strength
- Score of less than 18: Red flag areas to explore and improve