The Transportation Safety Board of Canada’s final report on the Lac-Mégantic train derailment contained two recommendations and two safety advisories. In response, Transport Canada is:
- Requiring railway companies to meet standardized requirements for hand brake application and put into effect additional physical defences to secure trains
- Recruiting additional staff to carry out more frequent audits and creating processes for increased information sharing with municipalities
- Conducting further research on crude oil properties, behaviour and hazards
- Launching a targeted inspection campaign to verify the classification of rail shipments
- Requiring certain railways to submit training plans for review and conducting an audit blitz of short lines to determine specific training gaps.