The new Ontario Underground Infrastructure Notification System Act, 2012 makes mandatory the Ontario One Call system, which provides locates and information on utilities buried in a specified area. The following must provide information as to locates:
- Gas distributors and transmitters
- Operators of a distribution system
- Anyone or entity regulated under the Oil, Gas and Salt Resources Act
- Anyone or entity that owns or operates underground infrastructure that crosses or is in the vicinity of a public right of way
- Hydro One Inc and Ontario Power Generation Inc.