The province has updated the Operations of Mines Regulation. Changes to the regulation were developed after an extensive review and consultation process and take effect April 1. Highlights:
- Stronger limitations on tethering workers to remote-controlled equipment
- Stricter safety procedures when workers use water or other potentially dangerous substances near molten material
- Specific instruction for inspection and maintenance of raise climbers and the location of underground refuge stations
- Stronger requirements on ventilating emissions from mobile equipment underground
- Updated technical standards for roll-over and falling-object protection on vehicles.