February 28 was Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) Awareness Day. To help prevent such injuries in the workplace, the WCB recommends the following:
- Incorporate regular rest and stretch breaks into the work day.
- Vary or rotate job tasks to change positions and to avoid overuse of any one body part.
- Minimize awkward postures by adjusting work heights, decreasing reaching distances and organizing work stations.
- Modify the work area and equipment to avoid pressing against hard or sharp surfaces.
- Limit high forces by using appropriate tools, such as carts or hoists.
- Reduce the size of loads and carrying distances.
- Limit exposure to cold temperatures and ensure adequate clothing is worn for the work climate.