Supervisor & Company Fined $81,000 for Electrical Incident


Workers were using a crane to install a temporary cofferdam while an electrical conductor remained energized overhead. A worker came into contact with the crane’s hook and received an electrical shock that caused extensive nerve damage leading to amputation. The company and a supervisor pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that there was at least three meters between the crane and the energized conductor. The court fined the company $75,000 and the supervisor $6,000 [Atlas Dewatering Corp. and Patrick Maher, Govt. News Release, Feb. 15, 2011].