Pipe Contractor Fined $50,000 after Gas Leak Causes Fire

0
0

Workers for a pipeline contractor were installing a new natural gas line into a distribution facility. Other workers in the facility heard a gas leak and evacuated the project. Shortly afterwards, the gas ignited, resulting in a fire. An MOL investigation found that the exposed pipe was pressurized with natural gas while workers were present but not all workers were given this information. The contractor pleaded guilty to failing to provide information to workers to protect their health and safety and was fined $50,000 [Robert B. Somerville Co. Ltd., Govt. News Release, July 25, 2011].