The government implemented new rules to further enhance amusement ride safety as a result of the investigation into the Scorpion ride incident at last year’s Calgary Stampede. Highlights:
- Owners must keep on-site inspection reports from all jurisdictions in which an amusement ride has operated for five years
- Owners must complete an owner and Alberta Safety Codes Officer checklist for each ride
- Once a ride deficiency is detected, owners must confirm that the ride manufacturer has evaluated the information and reported findings to the owner and Safety Codes Officer
- If metal fatigue is detected on a ride, independent non-destructive testing must be conducted on the entire ride and repairs made to any defects
- Older rides would be considered for additional comprehensive non-destructive testing.