Drug Factory Charged with Safety Violations in Worker’s Death


A worker at a drug factory died after being exposed to trimethylsilyl diazomethane while doing a test at his work station. The ventilation system at the station was turned off due to roof construction. As a result, the province charged the company with five safety violations, including failing to provide adequate PPE, to ensure that an adequate ventilation system was in place and to ensure that the worker was properly trained [Sepracor Canada, April 14, 2010].