City Penalized $15,500 for Release of Gas at Rec Centre


At a city recreation complex, a worker mistakenly mixed chlorine with hydrochloric acid, releasing toxic chlorine gas and sending more than 20 people to the hospital. The WCB’s investigation found a number of problems, including insufficient labelling of chemical containers and inadequate training. The city pleaded guilty to failing to ensure proper instruction and training for health and safety. The court fined it $500 and ordered it to pay $15,000 to be used by the WCB to promote workplace health and safety [City of Summerside, Govt. News Release, Dec. 20, 2011].