Oct 13: That’s the deadline to comment on proposed changes to OHS regulations designed to bring PEI’s workplace asbestos rules into line with the rest of Canada. Highlights:
- New definition of “asbestos containing material” as material containing 1% or more of asbestos
- Differentiation of various levels of risk of exposure to asbestos during asbestos removal operations (Type 1, 2, 3)
- New requirement for daily air sampling outside an enclosure
- Expiration periods for asbestos abatement contractors’ certificates and renewals
- More specific requirements for ventilation, including annual certification
- Stricter medical surveillance requirements.