1. Purpose: The purpose of this policy limiting the use of cell phones and other communication devices at work is to protect you. Inappropriate use of communication devices at work can cause injuries because it’s distracting and may interfere with their proper and safe use of equipment and machinery. Devices and headphones or wireless ear pieces may also get tangled in machinery or interfere with the proper use of personal protective equipment.
2. Devices Covered: The devices covered by this Policy include cell phones, Blackberries, mobile phones, text pagers, two-way radios and other wireless devices, whether owned by the Company or the individual worker (collectively referred to as “Devices”).
3. Persons Covered: This Policy applies to workers, contractors, consultants, temporary workers and other workers at the Company, including all personnel affiliated with third parties working at Company facilities.
4. Activities Covered: The rules set out in this Policy apply to all work-related activities, including but not limited to driving to and from work and to conduct job-related activities, whether such vehicles are owned by the Company or the worker. The Policy applies to all conversations, whether personal or business-related.
5. Prohibited Uses
a. General. While in the workplace during work hours, workers are expected to focus on work and may not inappropriately use any Device in the workplace for any inappropriate purposes, including but not limited to:
- Engaging in personal conversations;
- Playing games;
- Surfing the internet;
- Checking e mail; and
- Sending or receiving text messages.
b. Driving. While operating a vehicle, workers may not answer a communication device unless and until they pull over in a safe spot (or let a passenger answer the call). If it’s urgent, workers may accept or return the call, provided that they remain parked off the roadway. They may not resume driving until their conversation is over. Workers may not make outgoing calls while driving. If workers need to place a call, they must first pull over in a safe spot.
6. Permitted Uses: Workers may use Devices while they’re not working in the following designated areas [insert designated areas such as the company’s break room, lunch room and offices]. Use of hands-free devices while driving is not permissible.
7. Violations: Workers who violate this policy will be subject to disciplinary measures up to and including dismissal, depending on the circumstances.
I have read and will abide by the terms of this policy regarding the use of communication devices at work.
Signature ____________________________________ Today’s date_______________
Witness _____________________________________ Today’s date_______________