Due to the first heat wave of the year, the government reminded employers that, under the OHS laws, hot weather is a hazard they must identify, address and take steps to control. Employers should help protect workers by:
- Reducing physical activity, changing the work location to a cooler, shaded area, and creating a cooling station where workers can rest
- Using a work-rest schedule with extra breaks, if needed
- Letting workers acclimate by gradually increasing the time they spend working outside
- Scheduling physically demanding jobs for the cooler times of day
- Providing plenty of cool drinking water.