Amendments to various provisions of Regulation 854 (Mines and Mining Plants) under the OHS Act were approved. Most of the amendments will take effect July 1, 2016; new requirements relating to risk assessments, water management, traffic management and ground control will take effect on Jan. 1, 2017 to give stakeholders time to comply. The amendments:
- Set new requirements for mines and mining plants to conduct risk assessments and have formal traffic management programs
- Strengthen existing requirements regarding water management
- Enhance and clarify requirements regarding conveyors
- Update training requirements for surface diamond drill operations to reflect changes to the modular training program
- Change several miscellaneous provisions to update terminology and certain industry standards, clarify certain requirements and revoke sections that are no longer necessary.