The WCB reminded outside workers to protect from themselves from cold stress during the extreme winter weather. It recommends that working Islanders take the following precautions:
- Dress for the weather.
- Pace yourself during physically demanding work.
- Set up shelters to block wind where possible.
- Schedule work to be done on warmer days if possible.
- Take breaks in heated buildings.
- Drink plenty of warm fluids.
- Cover metal handles and bars with insulating materials.
- Monitor the temperature and wind and adjust work and breaks accordingly.