Sept. 8: Report on Library Health and Safety Released
The BC chapter of the Canadian Union of Public Employees completed the first stage of its ongoing study of occupational health and safety at the province’s libraries. Key OHS hazards identified: exposure to biohazards and working alone. The report, Library Health & Safety, includes five recommendations:
- Provide more OHS training and education;
- Raise awareness of other OHS issues besides ergonomics;
- Make sure all safety incidents are reported to the JHSC;
- Lobby for minimum-staffing provisions in collective agreements; and
- In libraries with largely marginalized clienteles, initiate special outreach positions.