OHS Insider Month in Review – August 2017: Alberta
LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
August: Public consultations are taking place on the government taskforce’s recommendations on what industry should be required to do to implement the 100 megatonne limit on oil sands emissions, including:
- Mandatory use of Best Available Technology Economically Achievable for new facilities and expansions
- Submission of non-binding Greenhouse Gas Management Plans
- Create roadmaps to track costs of deploying innovative abatement technologies.
July 6: Key recommendations of the new review panel report on reforming Alberta’s workers’ comp system:
- Make return-to-work a mandatory requirement for injured/ill workers
- Create new independent office to ensure fairness of the WBC process
- More assistance with appeals and reviews for workers and employers
- More physician choices for injured workers
- Adjust benefits policies that are unfair to workers.