LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Sept. 2: Comments close on WCB draft policy POL-153 proposing workers’ comp coverage of medical marijuana as long as:
- It’s for treatment of illnesses and injuries covered by workers’ comp; AND
- It’s authorized by a WCB recognized health care provider who has conducted an in-person assessment of the worker; AND
- There’s objective medical evidence that standard treatment options, including pharmaceutical cannabinoids have been tried and failed.
Aug. 11: With cannabis legalization looming, regulatory changes took effect clarifying that Smoke-free Places Act restrictions on second-hand smoke and smoking apply equally to vapours and vaping.
Sept. 21: That’s the deadline to apply for new WCB Grant funding of up to $75,000 per project to be provided via 2 streams:
- Training and Education for workplace health and safety, injury prevention and return to work instructional programs
- Workplace Innovation for other projects designed to improve health and safety and return to work.
Workers’ Compensation—Firefighters’ Presumption
Sept. 16: That’s the final day of WCB public consultations on proposed Workers’ Compensation Act changes to provide presumptive coverage for firefighters with cancer and heart injuries.
Workers’ Compensation—Injury Recurrence
Aug.: The WCB finalized changes to its coverage policy for recurring injuries (POL-60, Recurrence) setting out new or clarified rules for:
- Differentiating between an injury re-opening and an injury recurrence
- Establishing medical compatibility
- Considering intervening variables to determine if a claim is a recurrence.