LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Sept.: Alarmingly, work fatalities in Alberta during the first 6 months of 2018 are up almost 20% as compared to 2017, with all 3 cause groups showing an increase, according to WCB data.
Work Fatalities Accepted by WCB Alberta, Jan. 1 to June 30, 2018
|Cause||H1 2018||H1 2017|
Sept.: Alert: This fall, OHS inspectors will conduct targeted inspections of fall protection at residential construction sites, specifically focusing on:
- Fall protection plans
- Worker instruction
- Clearance, maximum arresting force and swing
- Hazard assessments for work from ladders, scaffolds and mobile work platforms.
Most recently posted OHS fines in Alberta:
|$90,000||Technoworx Inc.||Disabling of safety interlock system allowed worker to sand material in lathe while it’s in motion. Result: Worker pulled into machine and seriously injured||Failure to ensure equipment was assembled and operated in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions|
|$28,500||Jason Scott Wright (charges against his water piping firm dropped)||Worker installing piling structures hit by bucket of an excavator suffering serious injuries||Failure to ensure health, safety and welfare of a worker|
Sept. 15: The WCB issued new technical rules implementing the OHS changes that take effect on Dec. 1, 2018, to improve safety for waged, non-family workers on farms and ranches, including mandatory:
- Emergency evacuation plans
- Protections against falls into bins and hoppers
- PPE training
- Mechanical equipment for moving heavy and awkward loads
- Machine guarding
- Standards for scaffolding
- Workplace violence prevention plans.
Oct. 15: That’s the deadline for non-profit and public sector organizations to apply for Innovation and Engagement grants to support projects to promote OHS knowledge and awareness in the following priority areas:
- Workplace impairment
- Workplace violence and mental health
- Vulnerable workers, i.e., new and young, disabled, recent immigrants
- Small business compliance
- Occupational disease.
Workers’ Comp Rates
Sept. 1: Maximum assessable earnings will remain $98,700 for the full 2018 year but the WCB is revising the MAE calculation formula for 2019.
Green Certification Program
Sept.: The government added poultry technician to the list of agricultural student programs eligible for GCP funding. Others include:
- Beekeeper production technician
- Dairy production technician
- Equine technician
- Feedlot beef production technician
- Field crop production technician
- Greenhouse technician
- Integrated field crop production technician
- Sheep production technician
Swine production technician.