OHS Insider Month in Review – October 2017: British Columbia
LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Sept. 29: Buoyed by low claims costs and strong investment returns, WorkSafeBC has proposed a 10¢ drop in 2018 average premiums to $1.55 per $100 assessable payroll. Rates are expected to go down for 63% of employers, up for 26% and stay the same for 11%.
|Rate Cuts||Rate Hikes||Flat Rates|
|Const/General Labour Supply
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care
Community Health Support
Auto Parts Supply
|Alcohol/Drug Treat Centres
Chambers of Commerce
Prefab Log Home Kit Mfg.
Oct.: WorkSafeBC still hasn’t issued guidelines for the new OHS regulations for storage racks that, effective Jan. 1, 2018, require employers to ensure that storage racks f 2.4 metres or higher are:
- Capable of safely supporting items stored
- Designed and constructed in accordance with good engineering practice
- Used in accordance with the specifications and instructions of the manufacturer or a professional engineer
- Installed by a qualified person.
Drugs & Alcohol
Oct. 12: Official confirmation that BC is experiencing a drug problem came in the way of statistics showing 1,013 overdose deaths so far this year, as compared to 547 through the first 8 months of 2016. Fentanyl, an ingredient associated with cocaine, heroin and methamphetamines, was detected in over 80% of deaths, a year-over-year increase of 151%. A contaminated drug supply is contributing to the fatality problem, authorities say.
Oct. 2: Tough new liquid petroleum spill response regulations took effect. Highlights:
- Spill contingency plans mandatory for pipelines and rail and trucking operations transporting over 10,000 litres
- Owner and transporter liable for full cost of response and recovery
- New requirements for tests and drills
- Beefed up spill response recordkeeping requirements.
Sept. 18: WorkSafeBC is revisiting its longstanding policy on coverage of shoulder dislocations in light of a new report questioning the scientific validity of the assumptions it’s based on. Deadline to comment: Jan. 12, 2018.