LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Oct. 30: Responding to an ongoing spike in “gas-and-dash” incidents and armed robberies, the government proposed a bill (Bill 19) requiring owners of gas stations and retail convenience stores to implement measures to protect workers against risks of violence, including:
- Pre-pay procedures that minimize handling of cash
- Workplace violence prevention plans
- Video monitoring
- Time-lock safes that can’t be opened during night time hours
- Personal emergency transmitters for workers working alone
- Workplace violence prevention training for workers.
Farms & Ranches
Oct. 27: Public review of potential OHS changes for farms and ranches began and will last until Jan. 15. Recommendations on the table include OHS measures that would bring the agricultural sector into line with other industries, including mandatory:
- Emergency evacuation plans
- Protections against falls into bins and hoppers
- PPE training
- Mechanical equipment for moving heavy and awkward loads
- Machine guarding
- Standards for scaffolding
- Workplace violence prevention plans.
Dec. 2: That’s the deadline to weigh in on a Climate Change Office proposal to limit oil sands emissions to 100 megatonnes per year and implement incentives to encourage oil sands operators to make even deeper emissions reductions.