LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
June: The WCB’s new Strategic Operating Plan lists the following safety objectives:
- 15% reduction in work injuries among priority firms by Dec. 31, 2018
- 10% reduction in work injuries in health care, municipality and transportation by Dec. 31, 2018
- 10% reduction in hand and back injuries by Dec. 31, 2018
- 10% reduction in acute/traumatic fatalities related to motor vehicle crashes and falls by Dec. 31, 2018
- 30% reduction in total work injuries and fatalities by Dec. 31, 2021
- 95% of injured workers returned to function within 6 months by Dec. 31, 2021.
June 22: The government announced that it’s extending for one more year the pilot program allowing permitted trucks to increase the weight on wide-based single tires, i.e., 455 mm or wider, from 3,850 kg to 4,250 kg per tire.
May 30: Newly effective Bill 83 gives environmental inspectors new powers including the right to:
- Perform software audits to determine a company’s environmental compliance
- Enter and inspect any area of premise in which inspector has “reasonable grounds to believe” environmentally-related activities are taking place
- Seize vehicles, aircraft, boats and other items the inspector has “reasonable grounds to believe” were involved in an environmental offence.