May 10: CNESST is proposing changes to OHS regulations on the use and installation of portable ladders and stepladders into line with CSA Z11, Stepladders (R 2013) via the addition of mandatory safe work practices such as:
- Moving stepladders only when they’re folded or closed
- Installing portable sliding ladders in the proper direction with the top part over the lower part
- Banning lateral loading of stepladders
- Using at least 3 support points when moving portable ladders or step ladders unless a fall protection device is used
- Using portable ladders and stepladders only if they’re in good condition.
June 12: Expanded protections against psychological harassment under Bill 176 took effect:
- Clarification that verbal comments, actions or gestures of a sexual nature count as psychological harassment
- Employer duty to adopt and distribute a policy for preventing psychological harassment and procedure for filing, investigating and responding to complaints
- Employer duty to notify CNESST of psychological harassment complaints received without delay.
June 20: A new law (Bill 152) designed to prevent violence and intimidation at construction sites took effect. Key rules:
- Broader powers of Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ) inspectors
- Ban on reprisals against workers for notifying CCQ of or participating in investigations of incidents of violence or intimidation at site
- Duty of public donors to report violence or intimidation at site to CCQ.