LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
|Workers’ Comp Filing Deadline
March 15, 2018
Nov. 15: Bill 152 proposes labour law changes to reduce corruption in the awarding of public construction contracts and risks of violence at sites, including:
- Duty of public contractors to report incidents of violence and intimidation at sites to Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ)
- Broader powers of CCQ to investigate such incidents
- Ban on reprisals against employees for reporting wrongdoing to CCQ.
Environmental Impact Assessment
Dec. 13: Highlights of newly proposed draft EIA regulations:
- Expanded list of high environmental risk activities subject to EIA process
- Add greenhouse gas emissions as factor in EIA review
- New public EIA registry to promote transparency.
Dec. 8: Highlights of newly tabled Bill 161 to strengthen wildlife conservation rules:
- Significant increases in fines
- Ban use of lighting, night vision and thermal imaging for hunting big game
- Ban aircraft use for all kinds of hunting
- Mandatory reporting of animal abuse by veterinary surgeons
- Extend criminal statute of limitations from 2 to 3 years.