OHS Insider Month in Review – February 2018: Yukon Territory
LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
|Workers’ Comp Filing Deadline
February 28, 2018
Jan. 11: Conspicuous by its absence from Yukon’s newly proposed cannabis legalization plan are provisions dealing with workplace consumption. Items indirectly affecting workplace matters include:
- Consumption only allowed in dwelling houses or adjoining property
- Consumption banned in common areas of hotels, motels and apartment buildings and within individual units of certain condos
- Possession banned in vehicles unless kept in a closed container that’s inaccessible to all people in vehicle
- Ban on intoxication in a public place.
Feb. 1: That’s the deadline to comment on proposed expansion of the territory’s recycling program (aka, the Designated Materials Regulation), which hasn’t been changed since its inception in 2003. Highlights:
- Apply $5 surcharge to all tires, not just tires 24.5 inches and less in diameter
- Extend program cover electronic and electrical products
- Make all fees payable at point-of-purchase and stop charging tipping fees at solid waste facilities or depots.