LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Nov. 23: The 2018 average assessment rate is going down a healthy 16¢ (7.8%) to $1.90 per $100 of assessable payroll, which is still among the highest in Canada. Only 13% (approximately) of employers will pay higher rates. Meanwhile, Maximum Compensable and Assessable Earnings is increasing to $64,375, the highest in Atlantic Canada.
Nov. 23: WorkplaceNL is the latest workers’ comp board to review its policies on whether mental stress is a work-related injury. Current Policy EN-18 , which covers only stress resulting from a discrete, sudden and unexpected traumatic event at work, is out of touch with the scientific research showing that PTSD and other psychological injuries develop gradually over time. If you want to weigh in on what the agency should do, the deadline to comment is Feb. 1, 2018.
Drugs & Alcohol
Nov. 23: Although there’s still no proposed bill, the government announced some key details of what it has in mind for cannabis legalization a la Newfound/Labrador:
- Legal age of use: 19
- No use of recreational cannabis in workplaces, vehicles or public places
- Cannabis to be sold by private retailers licensed by the Newfoundland and Labrador Liquor Corp.
EPA environmental assessment actions in Nov.:
- Registration of Conception Bay South Microbrewery [Reg. 1935]
- Registration of Green Hill Quarry Reclamation and Rehabilitation [Reg. 1934]
- Registration of Crémaillère Harbour Marine Port Development [Reg. 1933]
- Release of St. Lunaire-Griquet Iceberg Trail Development [Reg. 1932]
- Release of Crown Zone 5 Five-Year Operating Plan Amendment (2016-2022) [Reg. 1917]
- Release of South Dildo Cottage Development [Reg.1919]
- Release of Dildo Pond Agricultural Development Area [Reg. 1928]
- Release of Bay Roberts Microbrewery [Reg. 1925]
- Release of Crown District 19A Five Year Operating Plan [Reg. 1906]
- Release of Wabush Scully Mine Reactivation [Reg. 1931]
- Release of Labrador West Sand and Gravel Quarry [Reg. 1923]
- Release of Salt Pond Quarry [Reg. 1926]
- Release of Secret Cove Microbrewery and The Well Tap Room [Reg.1927]
- EA Committee appointed and EIS required for Placentia Bay Atlantic Salmon Aquaculture Project [Reg. 1834].