OHS Insider Month in Review – April 2018 Saskatchewan
LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
March 14: Saskatchewan released a framework for legalizing recreational cannabis in the province. Key details:
- Minimum age of consumption 19-years-old
- Zero tolerance for cannabis-impaired driving
- Ban on consumption in public places, schools and daycare centres
- Home production limit of 4 plants per household.
March 27: WCB published its FY 2017 financial operating results. Highlights:
- WCB fully funded at 117.8%
- Injury Fund at $555 million (vs. $446.2 million at end of FY 2016)
- Claims costs decline from $286.2 million to $230.2 million
- Benefits liabilities increase 1.4% to $1,228.4 million.
Sask. Work Injuries & Claims
|Time-loss injury rate||1.86 per 100 workers||1.86 per 100|
|Total injury rate||5.25 per 100||5.24 per 100|
|Employers with zero injuries||88%||88%|
Source: WCB 2017 Annual Report
April 1: Environmental handling charges on all beverage containers are increasing by 2 cents. New fees by container type:
- Tetra: 5 cents
- Aluminum cans: 7 cents
- Plastic jugs/bottles: 8 cents
- Glass: 9 cents.