LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
March 27: Legal use of recreational cannabis will be limited to private residences with a few narrow exceptions unlikely to impact workplaces). Other key details in PEI’s newly published cannabis legalization plan:
- Age 19 minimum to purchase, possess and use
- Possession limit of 30 grams (or its equivalent)
- Personal cultivation limit of 4 plants per household
- New penalties for cannabis-impaired driving
- Products to be sold out of 4 government-owned stores and online
- Available products to include dried cannabis, cannabis oil, seeds and seedlings.
April 13: That’s the deadline to comment on proposed changes to the WCB’s policy on Return to Work (POL-93). Although largely administrative, there are a few substantive changes including a new provision that provides for paying wages directly to workers while they’re participating in a return to work program and stipulates that workers who don’t receive full wages may be entitled to wage loss benefits to compensate for lost earning capacity.