OHS Insider Month in Review – April 2018 Northwest Territories
LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
March 1: How will legalization of recreational cannabis affect workplaces? GNWT has taken the lead on this issue by clarifying that the WSCC will create and enforce rules governing workplace use. Other parts of the legalization plan relevant to workplace safety:
- Cannabis banned in any place where tobacco use is currently banned
- Authority of local governments to adopt additional bans on cannabis use within their boundaries
- Strict law enforcement procedures and tough penalties for cannabis-impaired driving.
April 27: That’s the deadline to apply for Mining Incentive Program funding. Prospectors can get up to $25K in funding and mineral exploration companies up to $200K. Applicants must be licensed to operate in the NWT.
May 4: That’s the deadline to comment on the GNWT’s plan to reform the current oil and gas industry regulatory regime. Proposed changes fall into 3 broad categories:
- Enhancing transparency and public accountability
- Technical and administrative amendments
- New rules governing significant discoveries.