OHS Insider Month in Review – April 2018 Newfoundland & Labrador
LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Feb.: WorkSafeNL’s Work Plan for 2018-2022 identifies MSIs, falls, young workers, workplace violence, psychological safety and traffic control as priority risk areas. Strategic initiatives to be undertaken include:
- Comprehensive review of Radiation Health and Safety Act and Regulations
- Implement GHS changes to WHMIS
- Review training requirements for confined space entry and traffic control
- Promote mandatory orientation safety training for all new workers
- Refocus inspection strategy to target high-risk employers and sectors.
March 26: The Assembly passed a bill (Bill 1) that expands the scope of the law to protect victims of domestic violence to cover not just physical but emotional, psychological and financial injury. Result: Victims of such abuses will now be able to get an Emergency Protection Order.
April 23: New Buildings Accessibility Regulations take effect:
- All new buildings must have automated door operators
- Higher percentage of parking spaces that must be accessible
- Parking lots must have van-accessible parking spaces
- Stricter accessibility rules for public washrooms
- Clearer requirements for how high counter must be to be deemed accessible.
March 30: Comments ended on proposed WorkplaceNL’s workers’ comp coverage rules for mental stress. Current Policy EN-18 , which covers only stress resulting from a discrete, sudden and unexpected traumatic event at work, is out of touch with other jurisdictions and scientific research showing that PTSD and other psychological injuries develop gradually over time.
EPA environmental assessment actions in March:
- Registration of Crown Zone 7 (District 9) Five Year Operating Plan (2017-2021) Amendment [Reg.1951]
- Registration of Foxtrap Access Road Quarry [Reg. 1952]
- Registration of Burnt Lake Cottage Access Road [Reg.1950]
- Registration of Crown Forest Management Amendment Zone 5 (District 13) [Reg. 1949]
- Registration of Happy Valley-Goose Bay Ex-Situ Soil Bioremediation Facility [Reg. 1948]
- Release of Magy Pit Extension [Reg. 1942]
- Release of Mount Pearl Microbrewery [Reg. 1943]
- Release of Crown Zone 5 Five Year Forestry Operating Plan (2016-2020) Amendment [Reg. 1938]
- Release of Flat Bay Gypsum Quarry [Reg. 1940]
- Environmental Preview Report submitted for Health Sciences Centre Berm [Reg. 1887]
- Environmental Preview Report Guidelines issued for Baie Verte Tailings Management Facility Expansion, Ming Copper-Gold Mine [Reg. 1939]
- Environmental Preview Report Guidelines issued for Green Hill Quarry Reclamation and Rehabilitation [Reg. 1934]
- Environmental Preview Report Guidelines issued for Crémaillère Harbour Marine Port Development [Reg. 1933]
- Final EIS Guidelines approved for Placentia Bay Atlantic Salmon Aquaculture Project [Reg. 1834]
- Environmental Assessment Committee appointed for Crémaillère Harbour Marine Port Development [Reg. 1933]
- Environmental Assessment Committee appointed for Foxtrot Rare Earth Element Mine [Reg. 1936].