The fall is when black bears are most active in New Brunswick as they forage for food to prepare for the upcoming winter. To minimize bear problems on your property:
- Reduce garbage odours by rinsing food cans and wrappers before disposal
- Compost only vegetable scraps, never meat or fish
- Keep meat scraps in your freezer until garbage pickup day
- Wash garbage cans regularly and use lime or baking soda to cut odours
- Keep garbage cans in a bear-proof container or in a closed garage until the morning of pickup
- Remove bird feeders at night and hang at a height of at least 2.5 m
- Keep barbecue grills and picnic tables clean
- Use energized electric fencing to keep bears out of beehives, gardens, fruit trees and berry patches
- If a bear comes into your yard, don’t panic, approach the bear or shoot it.
Submit a policy: email to email@example.com
Do You Like This Tool ?