The government reminded employers that extreme temperatures are considered a workplace hazard, which means they must take steps to prevent risks associated with cold weather, such as severe cold stress and hypothermia. Steps employers can take include:
- Providing a heater or other on-site heat source
- Providing a heated shelter for workers to work in or take breaks in
- Shielding workers from drafts or wind
- Letting workers take extra breaks, if needed
- Educating workers on the hazards of working in the cold and controls in place to protect them
- Using a buddy system so workers aren’t alone in very cold weather.