The government released the province’s Climate Change Strategy, which supports Ontario’s proposed cap and trade program. The strategy outlines the steps the government will take, including:
- Introducing climate legislation that would establish a long-term framework for action and make the cap-and-trade program law
- Integrating climate change mitigation and adaptation considerations into government decision-making and infrastructure planning
- Introducing changes to government operations, procurement, employee training, building retrofits, etc. to help government move towards carbon neutrality
- Developing a coordinated approach to reduce emissions from new and existing buildings
- Reducing emissions from transportation by promoting the uptake of zero emission and plug-in hybrid vehicles.