The government introduced amendments to the Labour Standards Code to clarify and enhance protections for employees who make inquiries or provide information to Labour Standards officials, whether or not a complaint is ever filed. Proposed amendments will apply to employees who:
- Initiate an inquiry, investigation or other proceeding
- Make an inquiry about their rights under the code
- Make a statement or give information to Labour Standards officials
- Ask/require the employer to comply with the code/regulations
- Help another employee who’s concerned about a possible violation of their Code rights
- Participate in a proceeding
- Have shown an intention to take, or whom the employer believes will take, a leave to which they’ll become entitled.